A new report from the International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food (IPES-Food) outlines how industrial food and farming systems are making people sick in a variety of ways. An Overwhelming Case for Action lead author Cecelia Rocha says “Food systems are making us sick. Unhealthy diets are the most obvious link, but are only one of many pathways through which food and farming systems affect human health.”
This infographic from the report summarises the carnage and the resulting economic impact.
In addition to highlighting the perils of the industrial food system, the document identifies five co-dependent leverage points for building healthier food systems. Among these are lines of action we can all champion.
- Promoting food systems thinking.
- Reasserting scientific integrity and research as a public good.
- Bringing the alternatives to light.
- Adopting the precautionary principle.
- Building integrated food policies under participatory governance.
This report follows on from their ground-breaking first report From Uniformity to Diversity: A Paradigm shift from industrial agriculture to diversified agroecological systems.